Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Happy New Year!

12/29/14
It was definitely a good week! The Christmas season always brings a good spirit and it was definitely strong this year here on Huahine! Christmas day went well for Soeur Hunter and I. Due to the holiday, we only had one lesson so we decided to render a lot of service. We gathered all the food we had in our freezer and refridgerator, cooked it, and delivered it to those in need. It was definitely a good experience and I love seeing other people happy. We also made who knows how many cookies and delivered them randomly to members and investigators and anyone else we passed on the street. So a week ago, the island of Huahine ran out of gas. There is only one gas station on the island and I guess they import the gas by boat every couple of weeks. I do not know how often this happens but I thought it was absolutely hilarious. We drove our car until the gas light came on and then we had to use our bikes. Christmas Day was the first time I rode my bike on my mission. It was quite an experience. I quickly learned that I am not an experienced bike rider. As a child my mom always instructed me to stay on the sidewalk and I could only ride around the block. Here on Huahine, everywhere we go is like an extreme mountain biking trail. It has been quite an adventure. So for our only lesson on Christmas day, it was with a young boy named Naty. He lives very far away from us and his house is only reachable by a dirt road. Of course it decided to rain and there were very strong winds. The trip to his house was very long and tiring. When we finally arrived, we were soaking wet and exhausted. But alas, the lesson went well and it was definitely worth it. We taught about the importance of families and the spirit was so strong. The bike going has been a lot easier since that day. I told myself that if I could survive the trip to his house in the rain and wind . . . that I can do anything. I truly can do anything with the help of my Savior, Jesus Christ. The year 2014 was a year that changed my life forever. I was going through a very hard time in my life exactly a year ago from right now. Each day would drag and I really did not realize my purpose. I felt like the whole world was caving in on me and I did not have any motivation. I was not happy. On January 5th 2014 I made the decision to serve a mission. This has been the best decision I have made so far in my life. Ever since that day, things started turning around for me. Slowly but surely my life transitioned and I found joy. Our purposes here on this earth are to find joy and to come to know God and His son Jesus Christ. The only way we can come to know real joy is through coming to know them. Life is a process for each of us. Life is hard. But the minute we get on the path that God has in mind for us and let Him guide our lives, the minute that we realize that God is there for us every step of the way and that He loves us very much, the minute that we truly come to know that there is a divine plan for each one of us and that there are people waiting for our light is the minute that we can experience true joy. I am so thankful for this gospel. I am thankful for the experiences that I have had, the good ones and the difficult ones. Because they have molded me into the person I am today. I am thankful for the opportunity I have to use the Atonement in my life each day and to improve as a person. I know that we can do all through Christ. As this New Year commences, make a personal goal to make Christ your best friend. Invite Him into your life and let Him guide your paths. I know that you will notice a difference and experience true joy! Happy New Year!! Thanks for all of your love, support, and prayers! I truly do feel and appreciate it! I love you all! Love, Soeur Heather Kofford
Island tour
Island tour with Andy's family
Christmas Eve
Christmas Eve
Christmas Eve
Sister Arbuckle, Sister Kofford, Elder Twede
Some little puddles we had to bike through
The beautiful beach the day the sun finally decided to shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment